*This post may contain affiliate links.
It’s an eye for an eye. For an eye. And another and another eye!
When you have a bowl full of little candy eyes, it is inevitable that food in your house will soon be dotted with eyes! I picked up several packages of these Wilton Candy Eyes and I’ve been experimenting like a mad scientist with Halloween treats to add them to. My Halloween Spider Sandwich Cookies are the most recent treats to get some peepers.
And now I have rolled some apples in those eyeballs!
I used Wilton Candy Melts in bright shades of purple, green, and orange for that Halloweeny feel. I love the candy melts both because they melt so quickly and smoothly, and because there are so many brilliant colors to choose from.
The apples with these bright colors are the perfect base for a whole lot of creepy eyeballs! They make me think of the colorful, assorted monsters in Monsters, Inc.!
These are really fun to do with kids: they can do the dipping and add the eyes.
Because the Candy Melts melt easily and dry quickly the apples come together fast.
The Candy Melts and candy eyeballs can be found at craft stores like Michael’s or ordered online.
These are awesome treats for a Halloween party or school celebration!
Enjoy, and remember: I’ve got my eye(s) on you!
- 1 package Wilton Candy Eyeballs (small-sized, medium-sized or a combination of both)
- 12 medium-sized apples like Cortland or MacIntosh, washed and polished dry
- 12 wood treat sticks
- 12 ounces Wilton Candy Melts (great colors for Halloween are Lavender, Green, and Orange)
- Have ready a place to stand up the apples once they are on the sticks and dipped, such as a sturdy block of Styrofoam or a shallow, sturdy cardboard box with holes punched in the lid. Have the candy eyes opened and in a small dish.
- Place the Candy Melts in a medium heat-proof bowl (use separate bowls if you're using more than one color.) Microwave the Candy Melts in 30 second bursts, stirring each time, until the candy is completely melted and smooth. (It will be a little thick. Do not overheat it.)
- Stick a treat stick into the bottom of an apple. Holding the apple by the stick, roll it through the melted Candy Melts until the top and sides are coated. Tap off the excess or use a small rubber spatula to smooth off the excess. While the candy is still wet stick on the candy eyeballs all over the apple. (Add in 1 or 2 larger eyeballs if you're using them.) When done, stand the apple up in the prepared Styrofoam block or the box. Continue to skewer, dip, and decorate the remaining apples. Allow them to dry completely - this should only take 10-15 minutes.
- When the apples are all dry you can served them immediately. or gently wrap them in plastic wrap. Store them at room temperature for up to two days.