This is a tasty, festive treat and an especially fun one to make with kids!
I admit that I like seeing the ads and signs announcing that once again a certain green milkshake has returned to a certain fast food restaurant. It means that St. Patrick’s Day is drawing near!
Actually consuming one of those milkshakes though is, for me, not quite as pleasant an experience.
Though I LOVE mint ice cream there’s something a little overwhelming about that much mint in that restaurant’s overly sweet and heavy milkshakes, which tend to sit in one’s belly like lead.
Plus, no one else in this house is a fan of mint so none of us get to experience that certain green milkshake.
So: I made a St. Patrick’s Day green milkshake of my own! A big, frosty milkshake in a vivid shade of green. It’s made with vanilla or chocolate chip ice cream – if someone really wants the mint flavor in there it’s easy enough to swap in some mint chocolate chip ice cream.
And for a little extra fun and a little extra kitsch the milkshakes are topped with green sprinkles, and with marshmallows fished out of a box of Lucky Charms cereal!
(Confession: I still like to eat Lucky Charms once in awhile. It was my third favorite breakfast cereal as a kid, behind Cocoa Puffs and Cinnamon Toast Crunch!)
And there you have it: a St. Patrick’s Day Lucky Green Milkshake that everyone can enjoy! And if you have kids running about at home this is an especially fun and easy one to make together. They will love digging out those marshmallows from the box of cereal!
The milkshake recipe is below, and you must try one of these too: more recipes perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
St. Patrick’ Day Lucky Green Milkshakes
- 2 1/2 cups ice cream (vanilla bean, chocolate chip, or mint chocolate chip are my suggestions)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Green food coloring
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (unless you’re using a chocolate chip ice cream… or go ahead and add more anyway!)
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- Green sprinkles
- 1/4 cup marshmallows from Lucky Charms cereal (Snag the rainbows, shamrocks, horseshoes… any maybe the unicorns)
- 2 Tall glasses, chilled in the freezer
- Long spoons and/or straws
- Place the ice cream, milk, vanilla extract, and food coloring in a blender. Blend the ingredients together until the mixture is thick and smooth. Check the green color – blend in more food coloring if you think the mixture needs it to get it to a good, bright green hue.
- Divide the mixture between the two chilled glasses. Add whipped cream to the tops of the milkshakes, dividing it equally between the glasses. Add a few pinches of green sprinkles over the whipped cream. Finally, drop several Lucky Charms marshmallows onto the tops of each milkshake.
- Serve the milkshakes immediately with long spoons and straws. Sláinte!