A delicious and quick dinner that is an awesome weeknight meal! Kielbasa is served up with rice and a savory, cheesy sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Inevitably the evening will come along where, despite my best intentions I am short of time to get dinner ready.
Whether due to late-afternoon meetings or errands to run, I sit down with a coffee after work and then can’t will myself back up again. Then I see my son make a move for the pantry, his hunger getting the better of him, and I realize I have to get cooking!
This Kielbasa, Cheddar and Rice dinner is a favorite of my family’s and a favorite of mine to pull together quickly.
Why you'll love it
This is a great recipe to have in your back pocket for busy nights because the staples are easy to keep on hand. Jasmine rice cooks to tender in only fifteen minutes, and so is nice to have in the pantry for this and other recipes, like Mexican Chicken with Peppers & Rice or Bacon, Tomato and Basil Rice Salad.
Kielbasa (or smoked sausage, which would also work well in this recipe) are often on sale and extras freeze well to use for a future meal, like Grilled Sausage, Peppers & Onions.
Lastly, you'll love this recipe because it's really tasty! It's a savory and casual dinner dish that the whole family will dig into.
🔪 How to make this recipe
Step 1: Cook the rice
Prepare the jasmine rice based on the package directions and hold the cooked rice aside.
Step 2: Cook the kielbasa
Cook kielbasa slices over medium heat in a skillet until they're browned around the edges and hot. Stir the cooked kielbasa slices through the cooked rice.
Step 3: Make the Cheddar sauce
Prepare a roux with butter, flour, and the seasonings. Add in milk and bring to a simmer. When the milk mixture is beginning to thicken, remove it from the heat and stir in the shredded Cheddar.
Step 4: Serve!
Place a serving of the kielbasa and rice on each plate and spoon Cheddar sauce over the tops.
This tasty dinner comes together in under thirty minutes, and most importantly it is delicious. Cheesy, savory and satisfying!
The recipe is below. Need more dinner ideas? Here are some of my favorites!
💬 Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars above to rate, and leave me a comment below.
Kielbasa, Cheddar & Rice
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, slice the kielbasa into thin slices. Heat the kielbasa slices in a small skillet over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes until the slices are sizzling and browned at the edges. Stir the kielbasa slices into the cooked rice. Hold this aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat the butter over medium heat until it is melted. Quickly stir in the flour, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir this roux continuously over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Quickly stir in the milk and whisk to combine it with the roux. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once simmering stir for 30 seconds to one minute until the mixture has slightly thickened. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the shredded cheese until it is melted.
- Place portions of the rice and kielbasa on serving plates, and top each with the Cheddar cheese sauce. Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Feel free to use a different variety of rice if you wish.
- 10/2020: Based on reader feedback, I have decreased the amount of salt called for in the recipe to ¼ teaspoon.
Originally published June 2013