This Spicy Cheddar and Beer Queso Dip is a cross between two delightful, cheesy treats: traditional, smooth and spicy queso dip and flavorful hearty Welsh Rarebit.
Welsh Rarebit is made with Cheddar, ale, mustard, sometimes egg, and it is served over toast. Queso is smoother and lighter tasting, usually with a spicy kick and great for digging into with tortilla chips.
(Does anyone else call it Welsh Rabbit? Silly, but fun!)
Both dips are cheesy amazing so why not bring them together?
Why you'll love this queso dip
In this dip, the base includes a Pilsner beer. Then we melt Cheddar and American cheeses to make a smooth and savory cheese sauce. With a spicy dose of green chiles and seasonings, this is an addictive snack!
You can carry on with the Welsh Rarebit tradition by enjoying it with toast points. (Slices of bread with crusts removed, toasted until very crisp and cut into triangles.) Pita chips, fresh veggies and, of course, tortilla chips would also make satisfying vehicles for this rich, spicy cheese dip!
🔪 How to make this recipe
Step 1: Make a roux
Melt butter in a large saucepan, then whisk in some flour. Cook this roux for a short time, then whisk in some milk.
Step 2: Add the beer
Pour in the beer, whisk the mixture until it's smooth, then simmer and thicken it. Remove the pan from the heat.
Step 3: Add the cheeses
Drop the two cheeses into the beer-butter mixture, and stir until the cheeses are melted and everything looks smooth.
Step 4: Add chiles and spices
Stir in diced green chiles and the seasonings. Give the queso dip a taste, and a little more salt if you think it needs it.
Step 5: Serve!
Pour the queso dip into a serving dish, and scatter diced scallions over the top. Serve it with tortilla chips, toast points, or fresh veggies.
The recipe for the Spicy Cheddar and Beer Queso Dip is below, and here are more appetizer ideas, too:
💬 So how much did you like this dip? Leave a comment down below, and let me know!
Spicy Cheddar and Beer Queso Dip
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 12 ounces pilsner beer
- 5 ounces medium flavor Cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 4 ounces white American cheese, cut into cubes or small pieces
- 2 tablespoons diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Diced scallion, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. When it just begins to bubble, add in the flour to make a roux. Stir to combine the ingredients and cook the roux over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the 2 tablespoons of milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour in the the pilsner, and stir to combine the ingredients. Stir the mixture over medium heat until it just comes to a simmer and has thickened. Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Add in the Cheddar and American cheeses. Stir them into the liquid until the cheeses have melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the chiles, salt, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce and whisk them in completely.
- Pour the cheese dip into a heatproof serving dish.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and serve the cheese dip while warm, with tortilla chips, pita chips or toast points.
Post originally published in 2017. Recipe and post update January 2021.