This Spicy Cheddar Beer Queso is a cross between two delightful, cheesy treats: traditional, smooth and spicy queso dip and the flavorful hearty snack that is Welsh Rarebit.
( I love calling it Welsh Rabbit but but I guess that’s a little silly. Still I would have been tickled to have named this recipe a Queso Rabbit!)
Welsh Rarebit is made with Cheddar, ale, mustard and sometimes egg and it is served over toast. Queso Dip is smoother and lighter tasting, usually with a spicy kick and great for digging into with tortilla chips. Both are cheesy amazing so why not bring them together?
In my dip, a pale Pilsner is used as the base in the roux. Cheddar and American cheeses are then melted into the roux to make a smooth cheese sauce. With a spicy dose of green chiles and seasonings, this is an addictive snack!
To carry on with the Welsh Rarebit tradition try this dip with toast points. (Slices of bread with crusts removed, toasted until very crisp and cut into triangles.) Pita chips, fresh veggies and tortilla chips would also make satisfying vehicles for this rich, spicy cheese dip!
The recipe is below. If this dip isn’t enough to satisfy your need for rich, melty cheese try these two recipes as well!
A tasty cheese dip that combines the heat and smooth texture of a queso dip with the savory Cheddar flavor of a Welsh Rarebit!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 12 ounces pilsner beer
- 5 ounces medium flavor Cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 4 ounces white American cheese, cut into cubes or small pieces
- 2 tablespoons diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Diced scallion, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. When it just begins to bubble, add in the flour. Stir to mix to combine the ingredients and cook the roux over medium heat for about 1 minute. Whisk in the 2 tablespoons of milk until the mixture is smooth. Pour in the the pilsner, and stir to combine the ingredients. Stir the mixture over medium heat until it just comes to a simmer and has thickened. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add in the Cheddar and American cheeses. Stir them into the liquid until the cheeses have melted and the mixture is smooth. Add in the chiles, salt, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce and whisk them in completely. Pour the cheese dip into a heatproof serving dish.
Garnish with chopped scallions and serve the cheese dip while warm, with tortilla chips, pita chips or toast points.