An intensely-flavored appetizer that'll be the favorite snack at your next gathering. Serve Curry Cheddar Cheese Spread with sturdy crackers or crostini.
This recipe for Curry Cheddar Cheese Spread is a family recipe from my friend Rebecca. It was passed down to her from her late stepmother, Linda who was famous for her love of hosting and entertaining at the family camp in the Adirondacks.
This recipe earned Rebecca the award for Best Savory Dip at our Dip Cook-Off! (Read more about the Dip Cook-Off here!) Rebecca very sweetly shared that our cook-off is just the type of gathering Linda would have loved.
This is one of my favorite appetizers to make for friends, and I'm so grateful to Rebecca that I get to share it here!
(By the way, that gorgeous cedar bowl with blue milk paint finish was made by my brother James. See more of his work in his Etsy shop!)
Why you'll love this recipe
This curry cheese spread is a thick and intensely flavorful appetizer, with a texture that's perfect for hearty crackers or slices of baguette. Sharp Cheddar cheese is blended with curry powder, garlic, black olives, and other ingredients.
The powerful, spicy, and savory flavor is addictive—something about that combination of curry and sharp Cheddar is so freaking delicious! The color is striking too: golden yellow with flecks of black olives and sliced green scallions.
This recipe comes together in a snap, and since it needs chilling for the flavors to meld it's a perfect recipe to make in advance, to save time on the day of your gathering.
(Visit my recipe index for even more apps ideas!)
🔪 How to make Curry Cheddar Cheese Spread
Step 1: Combine the ingredients
Stir together the ingredients, including Cheddar cheese, curry powder, and chopped olives, in a medium bowl.
Step 2: Chill
Cover the cheese spread and chill it for at least four hours.
Step 3: Serve!
Scoop the cheese spread into a serving dish, and garnish the top with a few chopped scallions if you'd like. Serve the spread with sturdy crackers, sliced pieces of baguette, or crostini.
- I find it's better to shred the Cheddar cheese yourself, because pre-shredded cheese is treated with additives to keep the pieces separate. Shredding the cheese from a block means the cheese will more easily meld into a smooth texture in this spread.
- Remember to account for the chilling time when planning this recipe.
The recipe for Curry Cheddar Cheese Spread is below, and here are a few other apps to set out at your party:
💬 Have you tried this cheese spread? Leave a comment below, let me know what you think!
Curry Cheddar Cheese Spread
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (About an 8 ounce block of cheese)
- ½ cup chopped black olives
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch of salt
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl until they are well blended.
- Spoon the dip into a serving bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Serve this dip with sturdy crackers, crostini, or small slices of baguette. Makes about 4 cups.
- I find it's better to shred the Cheddar cheese yourself because pre-shredded cheese is treated with additives to keep the pieces separate. Shredding the cheese from a block means the cheese will more easily meld into a smooth texture in this spread.
- Remember to account for the chilling time when preparing this recipe.