This snack mix was created with my daughter in mind! She's away at college and I suspect is really appreciating the snacks, savory and sweet to help get through long nights of studying and work. And maybe some long nights of hanging out with friends and watching movies. Either way, you need snacks.
This mix is a savory and spicy blend. It combines corn Chex cereal with pretzel pieces and peanuts.
They are tossed with a mixture of spices and a hefty dose of vinegar-based barbecue sauce. The one I used is a Heinz variety that I found over the summer and my daughter loved it.
We went through several bottles just this summer! In addition to using it in this snack mix, I think I will throw a bottle of this sauce in her next care package too.
Spicy Barbecue Snack Mix
- 2 cups salted mini pretzel twists
- 4 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 1 cup dry roasted, salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup Heinz Carolina Vinegar Style BBQ Sauce, or other vinegar-style barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 300° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Place the pretzel twists into a large bowl, and use a potato masher or the bottom of a glass to slightly crush and break them. Add in the Chex cereal and peanuts, and toss to combine the three.
- In a separate, small bowl whisk together the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, melted butter, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the pepper.
- Pour this mixture over the contents of the large bowl and toss to coat everything with the sauce.
- Spread the cereal mixture evenly onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring the mixture every 10 minutes.
- Remove the sheet from the oven and allow the mix to cool to room temperature. Pour it into a serving bowl or resealable container. Add in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the chili powder. Stir to combine these spices with the mix. The mix can be served or stored in the resealable container for up to 5 days.