Glamping (glam + camping): the pleasures of a crackling campfire, good friends, and open-air slumber glammed up with luxurious comfort, chic decor, and indulgent food!
One of the things I love most about sleeping outside whether camping or glamping is slowly waking to birds singing and sun warming the walls of the tent. Ideally I also hear the sounds of a fire being built by someone who rose earlier than I did! Having a cup of coffee and a simple breakfast around the fire is such a pleasant and serene experience… I wish we could put a fire ring right in the middle of our living room so we could do that every morning.
Many of our family’s camping breakfasts over the years included things like donuts or pancakes on a griddle. Often someone would bring homemade muffins or granola bars which were a nice treat. But if your goal is to turn a camping trip into a glamping trip than you want to think of ways to take these simple fireside meals up to a new level, to have a breakfast there that you would eagerly order at a local café. This is what gave me the idea of making a Glamping Morning Avocado Toast with Bacon.
Avocado Toast is a wonderful, light breakfast that tastes fresh and bright. It comes together without a lot of fuss and fills your belly just enough to get the day going. Thick slices of artisan bread get grilled right over the fire and come away with a crispy surface and some pretty gorgeous grill marks. The topping is a simple mixture of avocado mashed with lemon, salt, and pepper.
My other favorite thing about camping/glamping mornings? The smell of sizzling bacon wafting through the site, mingling with campfire smoke and the aroma of hot coffee.
So I couldn’t resist pairing a few slices of hot bacon with this Avocado Toast, and it’s easy enough to leave off if you or your glamping mates prefer it meat-free.
The bacon cooks up in your skillet and the bread slices get toasted after. A beautiful, easy, and tasty way to greet the day.
The recipe is below, and here are more Glamping Recipe ideas for you. Have a fabulous glamping morning!
** Looking for Glamping destination ideas? Here are two sites with info for you: Glamping.com and this article at Country Living.com. My friends Mike and Anne over at HoneyTrek are working on a Glamping Guide with Falcon Guides as we speak, and when available I will post the info here!
** Looking for Glamping decor ideas? Come on over to my Pinterest board to see all kinds of ideas for tents, lighting, pillows, and more!
Glamping Morning Avocado Toast With Bacon
Notes on this dish:
- There is an equipment list below for this recipe, and you’ll probably find that you’re bringing many of these items with you on your trip anyway for other food prep – like knives, cutting boards, and a pan to cook in. Have a small bottle of dish soap and sponge with you to wash up dishes between meals.
- A camping cooking grate like this one with folding legs will work with metal-ring fire pits or with fire pits set inside cinder blocks or stones. (All are possibilities depending on your campground.) If your site has a grill installed, or if you’re bringing a grill or campstove you’ll be able to cook on that instead. Check the campground website ahead of time to learn more about the site features.
- You can plan to cook over wood or coals, whichever you prefer. The ideal time to begin cooking over the campfire is when the smoke and larger flames at the start of the fire have died back a little and the wood or coals are hot and glowing.
- This recipe comes together quickly and if you share the tasks with your glamping mates, even more so! Someone can get the avocado mixture together while another cooks the bacon and then gets the bread on to toast.
- The bacon can be omitted for a vegetarian version of this recipe. Or, feel free to pile on extra bacon for an extra-meaty version!
- Though you could bring disposable bowls and cutlery, your glamping experience will be more greatly enhanced with real dishes and silverware. Throw in a linen tablecloth and tall candles too. (Fancy!) In addition to elevating mere “camp food” to something glamorous and special, you can high-five yourself for making an environmentally friendly choice.
Equipment to bring:
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Small mixing bowl
- Fork or potato masher for mixing the avocado
- Metal tongs or spatula
- Small pastry brush to brush oil
- Cooking grate with folding legs to fit over campfire (not needed if there is a grill at your site)
- Cast iron skillet, Dutch oven, or other pan durable enough to cook in over a fire
- Paper towels
- Measuring spoons
- Spoon to dollop and spread avocado
- Serving plates
Glamping Morning Avocado Toast With Bacon
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 of a fresh lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 strips uncooked bacon (or more if you want the extra-meaty version!)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices thick artisan or rustic bread
Make the avocado mixture:
- On a cutting board and using a sharp knife, slice the avocados in half cutting around the pit in the center. Pull the two halves apart and use the knife to carefully pry the pit from the center. (Or do that trick of pressing the blade of the knife into the top of the pit and then twisting the knife to pop it out.) Scoop the avocado out of the two shells and into a small mixing bowl. Discard the shells and pit. Squeeze the juice from the lemon quarter over the avocado in the bowl. (Watch out for sneaky slippery lemon seeds!) Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top, then mash the mixture together using a fork or potato masher. Hold the bowl aside.
- Have a plate ready with a couple of paper towels on it. Place a cast iron or other fire-proof skillet on the grates over the hot fire and add the bacon strips to the pan. Cook the bacon on both sides until it is crispy, using tongs or a spatula to turn the slices. Move the bacon strips to the paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Lightly brush the bread slices with the olive oil. Place the slices on the grill grate over the fire. Keep the bread there for 2 to 3 minutes until the surface is toasted and grill marks appear, then flip the slices and repeat for the other side.
Assemble the Avocado Toast:
- Place two grilled bread slices on each plate. Divide the avocado mixture between the 4 toasts and use a spoon to spread the avocado to the edges of the slices. Top each toast with a slice of bacon. Serve the toasts immediately while they're warm.