In this dish, roasted potatoes are tossed with shredded chicken, taco seasoning, chiles and cheese. It is a spicy and creamy potato salad!
The addition of chicken to this salad gives it enough heft to serve as a dinner or lunch, however smaller portions would also do nicely as a side.
¡Una ensalada picante y deliciosa para su próxima fiesta de verano!
(Since my son began studying Spanish in school my old Spanish-speaking skills are getting dusted off and revived!)
Tex Mex Potato and Chicken Salad
- 1-1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup canned black beans (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Place the cut potatoes in an 8" x 8" oven-proof dish. Add the vegetable oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat the potatoes.
- Place in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, just until the potatoes are tender and beginning to brown on the edges. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the potatoes to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, In a medium bowl combine the taco seasoning and water. Add in the chicken and stir to coat. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the salad: to the chicken-taco seasoning mixture add in the sour cream and taco sauce. Stir until the sauce is smooth and combined.
- Place the cooled, roasted potatoes in a large bowl. Add in the diced green chilies and black beans (if using.) Pour in the chicken and taco sauce and stir until well mixed.
- Can be served immediately or chilled before serving. Garnish individual portions of the salad with the shredded Mexican cheese.