This Tex-Mex salad is full of flavor and spice, plus roasted chicken and potatoes. It's delicious warm or cold. Bring it to your next potluck or serve it for dinner!
In this dish, roasted potatoes are tossed with shredded chicken, taco seasoning, chiles and cheese. It is a spicy and creamy potato salad!
The addition of chicken to this salad gives it enough heft to serve as a dinner or lunch, however smaller portions would also do nicely as a side.
¡Una ensalada picante y deliciosa para su próxima fiesta de verano!
(Since my son began studying Spanish in school my old Spanish-speaking skills are getting dusted off and revived!)
Tex Mex Chicken and Potato Salad
- 1-1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup canned black beans (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Place the cut potatoes in an 8" x 8" oven-proof dish. Add the vegetable oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat the potatoes.
- Place in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, just until the potatoes are tender and beginning to brown on the edges. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the potatoes to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, In a medium bowl combine the taco seasoning and water. Add in the chicken and stir to coat. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the salad: to the chicken-taco seasoning mixture add in the sour cream and taco sauce. Stir until the sauce is smooth and combined.
- Place the cooled, roasted potatoes in a large bowl. Add in the diced green chilies and black beans (if using.) Pour in the chicken and taco sauce and stir until well mixed.
- Can be served immediately or chilled before serving. Garnish individual portions of the salad with the shredded Mexican cheese.