Since the food is my favorite part of the fair (and some years I just don’t get any because we decide to save a few bucks and skip the fair) I’ve been making some of my favorite fair food at home.
One of those favorite fair foods is Grilled Sausage, Peppers & Onions.
Cooking away on a huge cook-tops at various vendors’ booths are coils of sausage and mountains of sliced peppers and onions.
The smoke and heavenly aroma waft through the fairgrounds. Just like in old cartoons, wispy fingers emerge from the smoke and draw us closer and closer.
On my list of top favorite food scents, peppers and onions grilling together are definitely in the top 5.
And a side of greasy, hand-cut fries is more than welcome, too.
The recipe for Grilled Sausage, Peppers & Onions is below. Here are a few other fair food treats to make at home:
Grilled Sausage, Peppers & Onions on a Roll
- 4 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 TB vegetable oil plus extra
- 2 14-oz. packages smoked sausage
- 8 soft sub rolls or hot dog rolls
- Slice the peppers in half and remove the seeds and membranes. Slice the peppers into thin strips. Remove the outer skins from the onions, cut off the ends and slice them into 1/2″ thick rings.
- Place a baking sheet on the grate of a gas grill and heat the grill on a medium-high setting. Add 2 TB of the oil to the pan, then place the sliced peppers and onions on the baking sheet. Stir them around with tongs to coat them in oil.
- Cook, tossing the peppers and onions occasionally, for about 15 minutes until they are soft and browned in places.
- Move the veggies over to one side of the pan, and lower the heat underneath that side. Add the sausage to the empty side of the sheet. Increase the heat under the sausage slightly and cook for about 15 minutes until heated through. Turn the sausage occasionally while cooking to brown it all over. (Add more oil to the sheet if necessary.)
- Remove the cooked peppers and onions from the sheet to a large platter and set aside.
- Split open the rolls lengthwise and lay them flat on the oiled sheet. Increase the heat a little and press the rolls down to brown them, about 5 minutes. Remove the rolls and sausage from the pan.
- Slice the sausage into 8 portions. To serve, place a generous helping of grilled onions and peppers on a warm roll and top with a portion of sausage. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings