This recipe takes my Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls to a new sweet level by swapping in some moist, shredded coconut and toffee bits.
They are thick through the swirl in these buns!
The flavors are delectable together, with the coconut bringing a soft chewiness and the toffee a bit of crunch. And of course a sweet, simple glaze over the top.
Have these on hand for your midday cup of coffee or tea, and do not hesitate to truck them out for breakfast!
Toffee & Coconut Sweet BunsPrint
- 1 cup half and half
- 1-1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached, plus extra for kneading
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup toffee bits, like Heath Bit O' Brickle
Glaze and topping:
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
Pour the half and half into a small bowl and warm it in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Stir in the yeast and let the mixture sit for 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer, and add in 4 tablespoons of the softened butter and the granulated sugar. Mix the ingredients together on low speed. Add in the eggs and mix to combine. Stir in the salt, and then the flour and mix just until the dough comes together. Turn the wet dough out onto a floured surface and sprinkle flour over the top. Knead the dough by hand for 8-10 minutes until it is smooth and shiny. (A bench scraper is helpful at the start of kneading to help scrape up the wet dough from the work surface.) Shape the dough into a ball and place into a greased bowl, turning the ball a couple of times. Cover loosely with a piece of plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 90 minutes until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently flatten. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the dough out into a 10" x 18" rectangle. Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in the microwave. Brush the dough with this melted butter, leaving the outer 1/2" dry. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter. Sprinkle the coconut over the butter next followed by the toffee bits. Starting at a long side, roll the dough up into a log, pinching the seam closed. Use a long serrated knife and a gentle sawing motion to cut the log into 1" thick slices. Place the slices onto the prepared baking sheet. Cover the slices with a clean dish towel and allow them to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Bake the buns for about 25 minutes. Check them after 15 minutes: if the buns are browning too quickly, drape a sheet of aluminum foil over the top. Once they're baked remove them from the oven and allow the buns to cool on the sheet for about 10 minutes.
Make the glaze:
In a medium bowl melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the microwave. Stir the confectioner’s sugar into the melted butter. Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze is smooth and fluid. Drizzle the glaze over the tops of the warm buns. Serve the buns while they're warm or at room temperature. Store leftover buns tightly covered for up to three days. Makes about 24 buns.