A wonderful seasoning for beef brisket and other cuts of beef, plus pork or chicken, this Spicy Brisket Rub Recipe is versatile and tasty.
A flavorful and spicy rub that gives rich flavor to meats going on the grill or in the smoker. This is a recipe that I created to marinate a beef brisket before it went into the smoker, in preparation for our Taco & Margarita Cook-Off.
The mixture is smooth and thick, comprised of sautéed onions and garlic, along with four kinds of pepper. It is savory and spicy!
Why you'll love this recipe
This is a wonderful rub for beef brisket, and also for other cuts of beef, for pork, and for chicken. It comes together quickly, so you can use it right away or hold it in the fridge until you need it.
The seasonings include smokey, ground chipotle pepper, increasingly more available in the spice section of grocery stores. If you can't find the other spices at your store, check natural foods stores with bulk spices or online spice shops like Penzeys.
🔪 How to make Spicy Brisket Rub
Step 1: Mince the garlic
Use a food processor or mini chopper to quickly mince a head of garlic.
Step 2: Sauté
Sauté the garlic with sliced onions. Stir in the spices and seasonings and cook to bloom the flavors.
Step 3: Add vinegar
Pour in the cider vinegar and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook everything for several minutes to thicken the mixture.
Step 4: Cool
Allow the mixture to cool, then it's ready to use or to stash in the fridge.
The recipe for the Spicy Brisket Rub is below. First, a few other great dinner recipes to try:
💬 How did this spicy rub work for you? Leave a comment about it below!
Spicy Brisket Rub Recipe
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated & peeled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled & sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon Urfa chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground Sichuan pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
Mince the garlic:
- Place the peeled garlic cloves into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the cloves until they are finely chopped. Place the chopped garlic into a small bowl. Keep the food processor aside for use again.
Saute the ingredients:
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions to the oil and toss to coat the onions. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes. They will be soft and starting to turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped garlic to the softened onions and stir them in with the onions. Lower the heat slightly and cook the garlic with the onions for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the Urfa chili flakes, adobo, Sichuan pepper and chipotle pepper and stir them into the onions. Cook the mixture for another two minutes.
- Pour in the cider vinegar and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring everything to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, until the liquid is reduced a bit and the mixture is thickened.
Blend the mixture:
- Let the mixture cool a bit and then transfer to the bowl of the food processor. Blend the mixture until it is smooth. Stir in the oregano leaves.
- Transfer the mixture to a heat-proof bowl and allow it to cool. It can be stored in the fridge, covered for up to 3 days.
- Trim and prepare the brisket or meat you are using, and place it in on a large, foil-lined pan. Spread the rub over the entire surface of the meat, turning it to coat all sides. Rub the rub in well.
- Cover the meat and allow it to marinate overnight. Prepare the meat according to your recipe.
Thanks, you had some at the Taco Off right?
Smack to the forehead...
Yeah, of course I did. Looks good. Is good.
See you soon.