A sweet snack mix made of cereal, nuts, chocolate and even sprinkles! It'll make you smile and definitely satisfy your sweet tooth!
This is snack mix made with my daughter in mind. She is away at college and, college is about a lot of extremes: extremely intense classes, extremely late nights, and extreme stress. No wonder college kids find themselves drinking extremely large amounts of coffee and seeking out extremely satisfying snacks for all hours of the day and night.
(Yes, there are other extreme ways they may choose to deal with the stress and newly-found independence, but for this post and since we're talking about my kid here... we'll just stick with coffee and snacks.)
I created this mix to hit the sweet spot. Sometimes we crave the super salty, savory stuff, and the Spicy Barbecue Snack Mix will hopefully satisfy that need.
And then there are times when we look for the super sweet: we need chocolate, sugar and crunch... and then we're good.
This snack mix combines Chex cereal with chopped almonds, all bathed in a sweet sugar-cinnamon blend before everything gets pushed into the oven. After baking is when the chocolate and white chocolate chips get added.
And some rainbow sprinkles.
Why? Because this is my girl and she deserves rainbow sprinkles!
Sweet Tooth Snack Mix
- 4 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup salted mini pretzels
- 1 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 300° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the Rice Chex with the pretzels and chopped almonds in a large, heatproof bowl. Add in the melted butter and cinnamon and stir to coat everything in the butter.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the prepared baking sheet. (Keep the large bowl aside.) Bake the mixture for a total of 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove the sheet from the oven and transfer the mixture back to the large bowl. Add in the semisweet and white chocolate chips and the rainbow sprinkles. Stir to combine everything together - the chocolates will become melty and bring the snack mix together into tasty clumps. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before transferring it to a serving bowl.
- The snack mix can be stored in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Makes about 8 cups.