This is delicious for your dinner or for a week's worth of make-ahead lunches! Spicy baked chicken with bell peppers served with flavorful rice and tomatoes.
If you're looking for an easy dinner with lots of flavor, this is one that I think you should try. Tender chicken breast is loaded with Mexican flavors like chili powder, oregano and cumin.
Plus jasmine rice, cheese, and peppers!
Why you'll love this dish
This Mexican chicken is a cinch to get to the oven, and it bakes up full of flavor thanks to a spicy blend of cumin, garlic, and chili powder. While the chicken bakes the rice cooks quickly.
Keep this recipe on hand not just for weeknight dinners but for a really tasty make-ahead lunch, too! You can divide this recipe up in single-serve containers and be covered for the week with delicious lunches.
🔪 How to make this recipe
Step 1: Bake the chicken
Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally to make thinner cuts, and coat the pieces with olive oil. Arrange the chicken in a baking dish with sliced bell peppers. Coat the chicken with a spice blend that includes cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Bake the chicken and peppers for about 20 minutes.
Step 2: Make the rice
Bring to a boil chicken stock and diced tomatoes with chilies. Stir in jasmine rice and cook until tender.
Step 3: Assemble the dinner
Slice the chicken. Spoon rice onto plates and top them with chicken and peppers. Sprinkle shredded Mexican-blend cheese over the top with a little cilantro.
- I always use jasmine rice because it cooks up so quickly and comes out flavorful and fluffy. Feel free to use a different variety if you wish, and adjust the cooking time as the package directs.
- The recipe makes a tasty dinner, and also works great for a week's worth of make-ahead lunches. Make it on a Sunday and have pre-made portions to get you through your work week. The recipe has directions for this option.
The recipe for this Mexican Chicken with Peppers & Rice is below! I have a few other delish dinner ideas for you, too:
💬 What do you think of this winner, winner chicken dinner? Leave a comment and a star rating below!
Mexican Chicken with Peppers and Rice
- 1½ pounds chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large bell peppers, seeds and veins removed, and sliced into thin strips
- 10 ounces canned diced tomatoes with chilies (such as Ro-Tel)
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken stock (or you can use water instead)
- 1¼ cups jasmine rice
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Chopped, fresh cilantro (optional)
Make the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Have ready a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish.
- Slice through the chicken breasts to make each into two thinner halves. Place the chicken pieces in the baking dish, and coat both sides with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix together in a small dish the cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Rub this spice mixture on all of the chicken pieces, both sides. Sprinkle the strips of bell pepper over the chicken, turning them a few times to coat them with some of the oil.
- Bake the chicken and peppers for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and there is no pink remaining. Remove the pan from the oven and cover it with foil. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the rice
- Pour the diced tomatoes with chilies and the chicken stock (or water) into a large saucepan. Bring the liquid to a boil, then stir in the jasmine rice. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook the rice for 15 minutes, stirring it through once or twice. The rice should be cooked and tender.
Assemble the meal
- After the chicken has rested, slice it into thin strips.
- Spoon the cooked rice onto each plate. Top the rice with slices of the chicken and peppers, and add a few spoonfuls of the pan juices over the tops as well. Sprinkle Mexican cheese over each dish, along with a little cilantro if you'd like it. Enjoy!
OPTION: Make-Ahead Lunches
- Have ready 4-5 large, reheatable, covered containers that you can take to work.
- Let the chicken, peppers and rice cool a bit. Divide the rice between the containers. Add sliced chicken and peppers to each container, laying it over the rice.
- Add in (or pack separately) the shredded cheese and cilantro. Cover the containers tightly and store them in the refrigerator. The meals can be warmed in a microwave.
- Store leftovers or the make-ahead portions in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Makes 4-5 servings.