A savory and spicy egg bake to start your day!
At our Friday morning breakfasts at work, there is quite often an egg casserole.
I love a savory breakfast, and this breakfast bake fits the bill perfectly. I loaded it with my favorite savory breakfast staples:
plenty of colorful, diced bell peppers, diced onion…
and breakfast sausage of course! Bacon would be delectable here too.
The eggs are whisked up with milk and spices, and a mountain of spicy Pepper Jack cheese waiting patiently nearby.
The sausage and peppers get cooked up together. (This is one of my all-time favorite combinations, and I especially love a roll of sausage, peppers, and onions from the vendors at the fair!)
The base of this casserole is a layer of toasted cubes of baguette. They will soak up the liquid as the dish spends the night in the fridge. Over the bread is the sausage and peppers, followed by the cheese. And then the eggs and milk.
Into the fridge it goes! The fact that you can assemble this the night before makes it perfect for feeding overnight guests, or to bring to a potluck. It will bake up while you get yourself and other things ready the next morning. (Don’t forget to put the coffee on.)
This is the amazing casserole that greets you from the oven.
Melty cheese and crisped bread corners cover the top, and inside are the creamy eggs mixed with sausage and veggies.
This recipe makes a generous pan of breakfast bake, and leftovers are so easy to reheat for a light lunch or the next day’s breakfast.
The recipe is below, and here are a few other make-ahead breakfast ideas too!
Spicy Egg & Sausage Breakfast Bake
- 1 baguette (about 8 ounces)
- 2 large bell peppers (I used red and yellow)
- 1 large yellow onion (about 10 ounces)
- 1 16-ounce roll breakfast sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 8 ounces Pepper Jack cheese, shredded (or other spicy cheese)
- 1/4 cup diced scallion greens
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Cut the baguette into 1-1/2-inch pieces and spread them out on a large baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and toast the bread for about 15 minutes, until the bread is lightly browned and crispy. (Do not over-brown.)
- While the bread is toasting, dice the bell peppers and the onion. Place the diced vegetables in a large skillet along with the sausage, and cook everything over medium-high heat. Cook the mixture for about 12 minutes: the sausage should be browned with no pink remaining and the veggies will be softened. Remove the pan from the heat and drain off the liquid and fat.
- Whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, sage, and cayenne together in a large measuring cup with a spout or a large bowl. Add in the milk and whisk the mixture thoroughly.
- Have the oven ready at 350° F. Spray the sides and bottom of a 9″ x 13″ pan with nonstick spray.
- Spread the toasted bread cubes over the bottom of the pan, then spread the sausage-peppers-onion mixture over the bread. Sprinkle about half of the cheese over the sausage. Pour the egg-milk mixture over everything, doing your best to get every bread cube! Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Wrap the dish well with plastic wrap and refrigerate the casserole for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Remove the plastic wrap from the pan. Scatter the diced scallion over the top. Bake the casserole for about 50 minutes: there should be no liquidy pockets remaining and the eggs should be set. Remove the pan to a cooling rack and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the breakfast bake and serve it while warm. Leftovers can be wrapped and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Did you like this Breakfast Bake? Please go below, tap on the stars to rate the recipe and leave a comment for me!