Get your hands on this sparkly Vermont maple syrup while you can, and try it in this warming drink made with Vermont gin and lemon.
I recently shared about one of my favorite Vermont specialty food products - Runamok Maple Syrups. Made in Cambridge, these syrups stand out from the crowd thanks to delicious and really unique flavors, like Bourbon Barrel Aged, Strawberry Rose, and Smoked Chili Pepper.
One of their newest creations is Sparkle Syrup. That's right: Vermont maple syrup that sparkles!
And honestly, if there was ever a year when we needed a little sparkly joy in our lives, it's this one.
What is Sparkle Syrup?
This is Runamok's pure, grade A maple syrup filled with magical, swirling glitter. The bling comes from pearlescent mica blended into the syrup, bringing a glow and shimmer to the whole bottle - not to mention everything you pour it over!
We've been enjoying Sparkle Syrup over coffee and vanilla ice creams. And over black raspberry ice cream, too. Maple, black raspberry... yes, it's a tasty nod to Vermont's favorite creemee twist!
This shimmery syrup is also fun on pancakes, waffles, and in drinks.
Sparkle Syrup is made in limited runs, and the first runs sold out fast! Visit to the Runamok website and sign up to be notified as new batches are released.
Heads up: the next batch of Sparkle Syrup will be available on Wednesday November 18th! Preorder yours now.
Speaking of drinks... who's up for a sparkling Maple Gin Hot Toddy?
Why you'll love this drink
A classic hot toddy is a cocktail made with lemon, whiskey, and hot water. There are many variations, including toddies made with other spirits.
This hot toddy is made with Vermont-made Bar Hill Gin, which brings wonderful juniper and honey flavors to the lemony drink. Maple syrup - sparkling maple syrup, to be specific, provides a sweet balance, and a shimmer!
Garnish this gin hot toddy with regular lemon slices, or make my roasted lemon slices. Brushed with maple syrup, they emerge from the oven still tart but with a caramelized sweetness, and lovely color on the rind.
🔪 How to make this recipe:
Step 1: Roast the lemon slices
Brush fresh lemon slices with a little pure maple syrup and lay them on a lined baking sheet. Roast them in a hot oven for about 45 minutes, then let them cool. (This step can be done up to two days in advance.)
Step 2: Mix the drinks
Divide Sparkling Maple Syrup, lemon juice, and Bar Hill Gin between two mugs. Pour simmering water in each cup, and stir to mix everything up. Garnish the rims with the roasted lemon slices and serve 'em hot.
- You can roast the lemon slices in advance. Store the cooled slices in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two days.
- Use pure Vermont maple syrup in this drink, and I highly recommend using the Runamok Sparkle Syrup to add a magical shimmer to these toddies!
The recipe for a Maple Gin Hot Toddy is below. Here are a few other treats to check out, too:
💬 What do you think of this sparkling Maple Gin Hot Toddy? Drop me a comment below!
Maple Gin Hot Toddy
Prepare the lemon slices:
- Preheat the oven to 300° F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the lemon half into ¼-inch thick slices and lay them on the baking sheet. Brush the lemon slices with a little maple syrup.
- Roast the lemon slices for about 45 minutes, until they are browned and no longer juicy. Remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- Note: this step can be done in advance. Store the cooled slices in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two days.
Make the drink:
- Divide the remaining maple syrup between two heat-proof glasses, mugs, or small mason jars. Divide the gin and the lemon juice between the two cups as well.
- Pour the hot water into the cups, about ¾ cup into each one. Stir each drink to mix the gin, water and flavorings together.
- Cut a small slit into each of the roasted lemon slices. Add one or two lemon slices to each rim. Serve the hot toddies immediately.