Don’t spend all your money on pumpkin spice drinks at coffee shops – this delicious DIY Pumpkin Spice Syrup is easy to make and is perfect for your coffees, lattes and tea.
This post may contain affiliate links.
One fine autumn day my friend Natalie asked if I had a good recipe for a pumpkin spice syrup to mix into coffee.
She had tried a recipe she found online that included pumpkin purée. The thick concoction quickly plunged to the bottom of her coffee, making for a weak pumpkin-spice taste for most of the coffee and then WAY too much sweetness and sludge at the end.
The solution? A simple Pumpkin Spice Syrup that has all the delicious SPICE and skips the pumpkin purée. Worried that you’ll miss that purée? Trust me, you won’t! It’s the blend of sugar and spices that gives you that beautiful fall flavor.
Why you’ll love it
This syrup comes together quickly on the stovetop, so you can make it anytime.
Because the syrup is not weighed down with pumpkin purée, it blends smoothly into your drinks. This means you get that delectable taste in every sip of your coffee, latte, hot tea, cocoa – even cold drinks, without an unpleasant sludge in the bottom of your cup.
The feedback from my friend? “So good and reminds me of fall. I’m so excited I can have pumpkin coffee with going bankrupt at Dunkin’ Donuts!” Yessss!
How to make this syrup
Step 1: Combine the sugar and water.
Whisk together sugar and water in a saucepan on the stove. Bring this to a boil.
Step 2: Add the spices.
Whisk in the four spices, reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for a few minutes.
Step 3: Strain the syrup.
Pour the syrup through a cheesecloth-lined funnel into a mason jar. Allow the syrup to cool completely, cover and store in the fridge.
Straining the syrup removes the spice solids so that they don’t end up muddying your drinks. But don’t worry:
The warm, pumpkin spice flavor is there and vibrant!
So start saving money: make your own Pumpkin Spice Syrup and be a barista at home! The recipe is below. Here are a few more fall-inspired treats for you, too!
For a different kind of spicy pumpkin try this really delish Chipotle Pumpkin Soup!
>>>Have you tried this Pumpkin Spice Syrup? Scroll down to leave a comment and a star rating for the recipe!
Pumpkin Spice Syrup: for Coffees, Lattes and Teas
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg – freshly grated
- Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar.
- Whisk in the spices. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer the mixture for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- Strain the syrup by pouring it through a cheesecloth-lined funnel into a glass mason jar. Allow the syrup to cool completely.
- Keep the syrup covered and refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.
- Makes about 1-1/4 cups of simple syrup.
Originally published in September 2014. Updated 11/18/2019.