This month for Six Of One the spotlight is on
Six Ways With Cherries!
My first recipe for this series of Six Of One was Cherry White Chocolate Sherbet. The second is Cherries Dipped and Sugared.
Chocolate-covered cherries were not originally going to be part of this Six. I was holding the spots for new treats that I had not tried to make before. Then as it happened I found myself in need of an end-of-school-year gift to give to colleagues – and also with plenty of cherries and chocolate on hand. So I dipped and sugared.
The cherries looked so pretty on the tray, with the crust of sparkling sugar casting twinkles this way and that. I felt it would be a sin to leave these sinfully luscious treats out.
Cherries and chocolate: a classic pairing. And though chocolate-covered cherries are familiar treat, available boxed in the drug store, there is no doubt that there is quite a “wow” factor when you present folks with cherries that you have dipped yourself. Do take advantage of the fresh cherries available and throw some together today!
*This feature is named Six Of One! Since I’m Hungry Enough To Eat Six I figured I would share six things to be hungry for. It may be six ways to use an ingredient, or six variations on a favorite dish. Perhaps six ways to use a particular kitchen gadget.
Here are more cherry recipes!
Cherries Dipped & SugaredPrint
- 1 pound fresh, sweet cherries: stems intact, washed
- 16 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup sparkling decorating sugar
- Spread the washed cherries in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and allow to dry.
- Line a separate baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
- Bring water to a simmer in the bottom of a double boiler. Place the chocolate in the top of the double boiler. Stir the chocolate often until it is melted and smooth.
- Holding by the stem, dip the cherries one by one in the melted chocolate so that the whole cherry is coated. Place the dipped cherries on the wax paper so they are not touching. After every ten cherries or so, while the chocolate is still wet take a pinch of the sparkling sugar and sprinkle it over the tops of the cherries. Repeat these steps until all of the cherries have been dipped and dusted with sugar.
- Allow the cherries to rest in a cool spot until the chocolate has set. Serve immediately, or once they have completely set store them in a single layer in a sealed container. Store in a cool place or in the fridge for up to three days.