For my last post on Vintage Cookbooks & Recipes I am sharing one of each: a recipe for Zippy Beets, plus exploring the book Thrills of Freezing with a Frigidaire Food Freezer.
Zippy Beets… my DJ name in college? No! It’s the name of this vegetable side dish from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook, which I shared in my ‘T’ post. The zip in the beets comes from a horseradish cream sauce.
I am not a huge fan of beets, although they did taste good in my Yankee Red Flannel Hash. But with horseradish cream sauce I think I would eat just about anything! The recipe for Zippy Beets is the first listed below.
The cookbook that I have for you is thrilling!! It is the New Thrills of Freezing with a Frigidaire Food Freezer. It’s another appliance manual that also contains food preparation tips and some recipes. It was created in 1955.
As far as graphics and photographs, this booklet is a little ho-hum.
I did like the illustration of the woman and the butcher looking a little overly ecstatic during their chat about knockwurst or whatever is in that case.
As well as the head-shot of a woman shaking a finger at the reader over proper packaging. Whenever I see things like this, a dozen or so lines from Mystery Science Theater 3000 pop to mind!
There is no end to the things we can freeze! Lunches, desserts, meats, sandwiches. Sandwiches? I think I want to test this one. The text claims that as sandwiches thaw over 4 or so hours in a lunchbox they have a “cool, fresh taste of sandwiches newly made.” I am picturing a soggy, soggy sandwich waiting to greet me at the noon hour. However, Smuckers has a line of frozen peanut butter and jelly sandwiches called Uncrustables, so maybe it’s not crazy!
From this humble manual also comes a recipe for Marshmallow Minted Sauce. I love mint. I love marshmallow. I don’t know if I would love this though. Seems weird! And so I share it with you. (2nd recipe below.)
Recipe: Zippy Beets
This recipe is from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook. The ingredients and directions below are listed and formatted as they are in the cookbook, for the fun, vintage feel!
- 2 bunches small beets (10-12)
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 3-1/2 tsp. bottled horse-radish
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
Cook beets as in Time Table, p. 464. (35-60 min. in a tightly covered saucepan with an inch of water.) Drain, then rub off skins under cold running water. Cut as desired. Heat cream, horse-radish and salt together in a saucepan. Add beets and heat thoroughly. Serves 4.
Marshmallow Minted Sauce
This recipe is from the New Thrills of Freezing Cookbook. The ingredients and directions below are listed and formatted as they are in the cookbook, for the fun, vintage feel!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 marshmallows
- 2 or 3 drops peppermint flavoring
- Few drops green food coloring
Combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to simmer. Add marshmallows. Remove from range. Beat until smooth. Add flavoring and coloring. (Amount – 6 to 8 servings.)
Find the rest of this alphabetical exploration of Vintage Cookbooks and Recipes in the list below!
- American Cookery Boston Cooking School Magazine, and Washington Pie
- Black & White Sandwiches, from Arrow Book Of Easy Cooking
- Crisco’s Easy As Pie Recipes, and Fudge Topped Pie
- Date Honeys, from the Cookie Book
- Electric Range Book by Monarch, and Ham Rolls with Bean Sauce and Banbury Tarts
- Fun To Cook Book, and Supper Cocoa
- Good Looking Cooking, and Mold A Main Dish Chicken Mousse
- Holiday Heritage: Betty Crocker, and Filbert Crown Cake
- Irish Potato Puffs, from They Taste S-o-o-o Good
- Joys Of Jell-O, and Ring Around The Tuna
- Kolachky, from Treasured Polish Recipes For Americans
- Lunch Box Cookbook, and Superman’s Delight
- Metropolitan Cookbook, and Saybrook Lemon Jelly Roll
- New York Times Cookbook, and Mozzarella En Carozza
- Out Of Vermont Kitchens, and Bishop’s Cake
- Praise For The Cook, and Brunswick Stew
- Quicker Ways To Homemade with Bisquick, and Waffle Club Rabbit
- Recipes That Pep-Up Meals with Wise Potato Chips, and Vanilla Chip Caramels
- Sunbeam Mixmaster Manual and Orange Refrigerator Cookies
- Turkish Paste from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook
- Uncle Bob’s Peanut Butter Sandwich with Texas Sweets, from Patio Daddy-O
- Vermont Symphony Orchestra Cookbook, and Frozen Strawberry Squares
- Wonderful World of Cooking: Italian Recipes, and Quick Tortoni
- Xcellent Cheape Soup, and Xavier Suppe
- Your Share: Daily Helps For Wartime Meal Planning and Wartime Cake
- Zippy Beets, and New Thrills of Freezing with a Frigidaire Freezer