The bright flavors in these Lemon Strawberry Sandwich Cookies are a taste of summer that is welcome anytime of the year!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Sometimes the best dessert is just a simple little cookie.
And sometimes you want more than just a simple cookie. You want to jazz up that little cookie - perhaps load it, with zingy lemon buttercream and sweet strawberry jam.
Well, that's what I wanted, so I took Simple Butter Cookies, and sandwiched them with these bright flavors. The pure, buttery taste of the cookies is the perfect vehicle for the lemon and jam.
Why you'll love these cookies
The cookies are crisp but tender on the inside. When spread with bright lemon buttercream and sticky strawberry jam, they're satisfyingly soft and creamy, with the filling threatening to escape as you bite into each cookie sandwich.
(They're not too big though, so you'll be able to keep up!)
You'll love the recipe for the Simple Butter Cookies, too. They come together without much effort and are so versatile.
🔪How to make these cookie sandwiches
Step 1: Make the butter cookies
Head here to see the recipe for my Simple Butter Cookies and whip up a batch. They keep well, so you can make them up to a few days ahead of when you'll need them for these sandwich cookies.
Step 2: Make the lemon buttercream
Whip together the butter, sugar, extract and lemon juice. Beat these together until you have a fluffy and creamy frosting.
Step 3: Assemble the cookie sandwiches
Spread lemon buttercream on the bottom of one cookie and strawberry jam on the bottom of another. Sandwich them together. Repeat with the remaining cookies until they're all assembled. Dust them with confectioner's sugar and serve.
The cookies are delicious served at room temperature, and also delicious served cold. When cold, the filling is firm and the lemon/strawberry flavors even more striking. Two great options for this yummy cookie!
The recipe is below, and here are more recipes for your sweet tooth:
💬 How do you like these sandwich cookies? Scroll down to leave a comment and a star rating.
Lemon Strawberry Sandwich Cookies
- Simple Butter Cookies Dough Recipe
- ⅓ cup butter, unsalted and slightly softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar plus extra for dusting
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup strawberry jam
Make the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or with a Silpat mat.
- Roll the Simple Butter Cookies dough out on a floured surface to a ¼-inch thickness.
- Cut out circles with a 2-inch round cookie cutter. Place the circles on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 15-16 minutes until they are set and just beginning to brown. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Make the filling:
- Beat the butter together with the vanilla extract until it is creamy and smooth.
- Add in the lemon zest and mix it in.
- Beat in the confectioner's sugar 1 cup at a time: mix it into the butter thoroughly before adding in a splash of the lemon juice. Continue alternating the sugar and lemon juice, beating on medium speed until the frosting is fluffy and smooth.
Assemble the cookies:
- Spread the bottom of one cookie with about 1½ teaspoons of the lemon frosting. Spread the bottom of another cookie with about ½ teaspoon of the jam.
- Sandwich the two cookies together and place on a platter.
- Continue with the rest of the cookies and fillings.
- The sandwich cookies can be served at room temperature or chilled first in the refrigerator.
- The cookies can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two days. Makes about 34 sandwich cookies
- This recipe calls for Simple Butter Cookies dough - find the recipe here!
Ask Me Anything!