Six 6-Ingredient Recipes
Thanks as always to my good friend Schmid. He really is an endless fount of ideas, and he is enjoying suggesting themes for my Six Of One series. His latest idea: six 6-Ingredient Recipes.
Though the possible categories of recipes for this series are limitless, actually coming up with the six different 6-ingredient recipes took me some time and pondering.
(Fortunately I had my bottle of Long Trail Pumpkin Ale to get me through.)
After all this pontificating I came up with two sides, two main dishes and two desserts!
The first recipe is for one of the main dishes: Chorizo Quesadillas.
Cheesy, melty, gooey, spicy goodness sandwiched between two tortillas. And only six ingredients to get you there.
Click below to the other five fantastic 6-Ingredient Recipes:
Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes with Sausage
Herbed Cheese Hasselback Potatoes
Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 16 ounces hot chorizo sausage
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- In a small bowl mix together the chipotle chili powder and mayonnaise until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Slice the chorizo into thin slices.
- Line a heat-proof plate with paper towels. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and then add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Swirl the oil in the pan to coat it. Add in the sliced chorizo. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often until the meat is browned. Transfer the chorizo to a paper-towel lined plate, and wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.
- Lay three of the tortillas out on your work surface. Spread each with about 1 tablespoon of the chipotle mayo. Divide the cooked chorizo into three portions and spread a portion over each tortilla.
- Sprinkle 3/4 of a cup of the shredded cheese over the top of one of the tortillas with chorizo. Repeat with the remaining two tortillas.
- Lay out the last three tortillas and spread each with tablespoon of the chipotle mayonnaise. Place them mayo-side down on top of each of the assembled quesadillas.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Place a baking sheet inside.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Swirl the oil in the pan to coat it. Place one of the assembled quesadillas in the pan. Press down the top with a spatula and cook for two minutes. Carefully flip the quesadilla over and cook for two more minutes - both sides should be lightly browned.
- Remove the quesadilla with a spatula and place it on the baking sheet in the oven to stay warm while you cook the last two.
- Repeat the steps to cook the remaining two quesadillas.
- Slice each quesadilla into fourths and serve immediately.
- Serves 4-6 people.
Create, Be Curious, Celebrate... with Food!
*Six Of One is a series that highlights Six things to be hungry for. Six ways to use an ingredient, Six variations on a favorite dish, or Six of something else I haven’t thought of yet!. I am always Hungry Enough To Eat Six and I hope you will be too.