After our Meatball Classic we had dozens and dozens of meatballs left. We gorged ourselves on the evening of the Classic, but quickly realized that one can only eat so many meatballs in one sitting. In the evenings to follow I had to start getting creative with the meatball preparations in order to get them all eaten!
Here is one way I was able to use up some of the leftover meatballs: diced and placed atop baked potatoes.
We also had in the house that night some leftover Chicken and Stuffing Casserole (“One-Dish Chicken Bake” recipe from KraftRecipes.com.) Some of the baked potatoes were topped with this yummy casserole.
For both varieties I added a generous helping of shredded cheese: Mexican blend for the meatball-topped potatoes and mozzarella for the casserole-topped potatoes. A few minutes under the broiler, and they made for a very tasty dinner!
Leftovers on Baked Potatoes
- Scrub 3-5 russet potatoes until clean. Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Place in the microwave with ends pointed to the center. Microwave for 8-10 minutes until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. (For 6-8 potatoes add about 3 minutes to the cooking time.)
- Slice the baked potatoes in half and place halves on a foil-lined baking sheet. Preheat the broiler.
- Warm the leftover meatballs, chicken casserole, or leftovers of your choice in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove.
- Spoon the leftovers on top of the baked potato halves. Generously sprinkle shredded cheese over the tops.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and starting to bubble. Remove from oven and serve immediately.