This edition of Six Of One features
Six 6-Ingredient Recipes!
Today’s 6-Ingredient Recipe is for Herbed Hasselback Potatoes.
Not only are they buttery and tasty, they have a satisfying “Wow!” factor when you set them down in front of your hungry fans.
This recipe takes them one step further with the addition of herbed pub cheese and a buttery bread crumb topping!
These potatoes are a great side to chicken or steak dishes, and they are also yummy as leftovers… you will be the envy of everyone waiting in line behind you at the microwave oven in the staff lunchroom!
Click below to see more fantastic 6-Ingredient Recipes!
- 6 large (about 3-1/2 lbs.) yellow potatoes
- 5 TB salted butter, melted, divided
- 2 TB half-&-half
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- 2 c. fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 oz. spreadable herbed pub cheese (such as this one from Président. An herbed Boursin would also be lovely.)
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub the potatoes clean. Using a sharp knife and a cutting board, start at one end of one of the potatoes and make an incision down through **stopping about a 1/2″ before reaching the bottom**. Make the next cut about 1/4″ away from the first, same depth. (I read once a tip to place a whole, medium-sized carrot on either side of the potato as a guide to prevent your knife from cutting through to the bottom. You can try this, but if you just take your time you can make the cuts perfectly without guides.) Continue until you reach the other end of the potato. Set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes. On each potato run your thumb gently from one end to the other to fan open the incisions. Set them on the lined baking sheet, cut sides up.
- In a small dish combine 3 tablespoons of the melted butter with the half-&-half. Use a pastry brush to spread the butter mixture over the potatoes, getting it into the incisions as much as you can.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the salt and place the baking sheet into the oven. Bake for about 1 hour, until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir them together thoroughly to moisten the breadcrumbs through.
- When the potatoes are done remove the pan from the oven and set it on your workspace. Change the oven setting to broil.
- Use a knife to gently spread pub cheese over the tops of the potatoes (about 1 generous tablespoon per potato.) Sprinkle each potato with the buttered breadcrumbs.
- Place the pan back into the oven under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is starting to melt and the breadcrumbs are browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve the potatoes immediately.
OPTIONAL: throw some ground black pepper on the potatoes at the same time as you add the salt!
*Six Of One is a series that highlights Six things to be hungry for. Six ways to use an ingredient, Six variations on a favorite dish, or Six of something else I haven’t thought of yet!. I am always Hungry Enough To Eat Six and I hope you will be too.