Here is a delicious and savory appetizer, bite-sized and lightly flavored with saffron-infused couscous and spinach.
Baked in the oven, the balls are lightly crispy on the outside.
Grab a toothpick and dip these into the dip, smooth and with the bright flavor of curry.
Couscous Spinach Balls with Curry Dip
A savory bite-sized appetizer combined saffron-scented couscous with spinach, and a curry dip on the side.
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2-¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 pinches saffron
- 1 cup dry couscous
- 2 packages frozen spinach, thawed and all the water squeezed out
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Make the curry dip:
- Whisk together the sour cream, curry powder, ¼ teaspoon of salt, vinegar and mirin in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing the spinach balls.
- Bring 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the butter and saffron to a boil in a medium pan. Stir in the couscous to thoroughly moisten. Remove pan from heat, cover and let the couscous sit for five minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the couscous with a fork. Allow it to cool a bit.
- Chop the spinach and place it in large bowl. Add in the cooked, cooled couscous, the egg, oil, panko, pepper, garlic and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix everything together well. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 400° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a 2 teaspoon-sized cookie scoop to scoop balls of the mixture onto the parchment. Bake the balls 18 minutes, until the balls are crisp and lightly browned at the surface. Move the pan to a cooling rack.
- Place the balls on a serving tray or platter. Have the Curry Dip in the center or on the side in a small bowl, with toothpicks for spearing and dipping.
Be creative, curious and festive with food!
Calories: 227kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 9gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 288mgPotassium: 346mgFiber: 3gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 8695IUVitamin C: 4.3mgCalcium: 137mgIron: 2.2mg
Tried this recipe?Leave a comment, tell me what you think!
Ask Me Anything!