Black Bean Lasagna. This is but one of the delicious and creative entries in the Lasagna Challenge! Click here to see the post: 8 Ways To Make Lasagna: Our Lasagna Cook-Off!
by Rebecca Marsh
“I worked at Williston Central School as a substitute teacher and instructional tutor from 1997 until 2000. At the time, the school cafeteria offered both a student lunch and an adult lunch. This was the first time I had ever tried, or heard of, black bean lasagna. At the time I was still a vegetarian. I loved it and set out to recreate it at home. This was one of the first dishes that I cooked and one that I still make fairly regularly in my rotation of meals.”
- 1 box lasagna noodles (of which you will need 12)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 16 oz. container ricotta cheese
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 24-oz. jars spaghetti sauce (I prefer to use Classico)
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed
- Fresh basil and/or parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook lasagna noodles as package directs.
- While lasagna noodles cook, sauté onions in a medium nonstick skillet for 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for one minute more.
- Add black beans to onion and garlic with a couple of dashes of salt and pepper. Mix together and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together the ricotta, Parmesan, and most of the mozzarella cheese. Stir in the 2 eggs and a few dashes of salt and pepper. Mix in up to ¼ cup of fresh chopped parsley and/or basil.
- Cover the bottom of 9 ½ x 11 pan with spaghetti sauce.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles over sauce.
- Spread ½ of cheese mixture evenly over noodles.
- Spread ½ of the black bean mixture over the cheese.
- Cover black bean mixture with spaghetti sauce.
- Repeat steps 7-10, and then top with 4 remaining noodles.
- Cover top layer of noodles with spaghetti sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese, or alternately, place several thin slices of mozzarella on top.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 10 minutes more.
Serve with homemade garlic bread and a green salad! Enjoy!