Spinach, Artichoke & Chicken Lasagna Roll-ups. These roll-ups are loaded with indulgent, comfort food flavor.
This recipe was one of 8 created for our Lasagna Cook-Off. Our friends came together to share incredible variations on traditional lasagna.
Follow this link to see all the recipes and to read about our cook-off: 8 Ways To Make Lasagna: Our Lasagna Cook-Off!
Spinach, Artichoke & Chicken Lasagna Roll-ups
Recipe by Rob Melasky
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 carrot, cut into pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into pieces
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 of a medium onion
- 2 tablespoon dark mushroom soy sauce
- 32 ounces bag frozen spinach
- 16 ounces box lasagna noodles
- 14 ounces can artichokes, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large pot, combine the bouillon cube, carrot, celery, garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, onion, and soy sauce with two cups of water. Add in the chicken breast and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gently poach the chicken until it is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness. Remove the chicken, discard the broth. Once the chicken has cooled pull or shred the chicken into thin pieces.
- In another pot, heat about 4 cups of water to a boil. Add in the spinach leaves and cook for 1 or 2 minutes. Drain the spinach and roughly chop it.
- Prepare the lasagna noodles: follow the package directions to parboil the noodles so they are ready to roll up with filling.
- In a large bowl, mix together the drained artichokes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, the garlic powder, onion powder, yogurt, mayonnaise, and 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese. Stir in the cooked, shredded chicken and the cooked spinach. Set aside.
- Prepare the béchamel sauce: heat a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat and add the butter. Cook until the butter melts and begins to brown. Whisk in the flour until smooth and cook, stirring for one minute. Add in the milk, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and the nutmeg. Heat the milk mixture, stirring frequently until it comes to a simmer. Simmer and stir for another 2 minutes then remove the pan from the heat. Stir in 1 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese until it is melted and the béchamel is smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Assemble the lasagna roll-ups: spray an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with nonstick spray. Place one lasagna noodle on your work surface. Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken and spinach filling over the length of the noodle. Roll it up from one short end to the other. Place the roll up seam side down in the greased pan.
- Repeat this process with the remaining noodles and filling. Pour the béchamel over the top of all the roll-ups. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Monterey Jack cheese and the Parmesan cheese evenly over the top. Cover the dish with foil.
- Baked the roll-ups covered for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.