This recipe for Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes with Sausage is another main dish recipe, with of course… 6 ingredients.
Twice-Baked Potatoes are a frequent go-to for evenings when dinner is fairly unplanned, and I’m emptying the pantry and fridge to pull something off!
It is actually the planned dinners – thought out days in advance with all ingredients prepped and waiting for me, presented lovingly with garnishes, candlelight and fanfare – that are a surprise in our house. The last-minute experiments, Frankenstein-like dinners are far more common and I am more like a mad scientist in the kitchen than a cook. Sorry, my loving family!
Despite the lack of planning these potatoes are quite tasty, and the flavors and fillings can vary in a bunch of different ways. I mash the cooked potato with half & half and butter, then usually mix in cheese before refilling the potatoes to bake for the second time.
Or, as with this recipe for Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes with Sausage, I first top the potato-filled shells with meat and then melt cheese over the top.
As long as you have those three basic things: potato, meat and cheese, you will be golden and your hungry legions will be grateful.
Yes, they may still call you mad but they will love your food.
Click below to see more fantastic 6-Ingredient Recipes:
Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes with Sausage
- 2 lbs. potatoes (5-6 medium russets), scrubbed
- 1/3 c. half & half
- 2 TB butter
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 links smoked sausage, such as McCormick’s Grill-Mates
- 2 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Use a fork to prick the potatoes all over. Arrange them in a spoke pattern on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave the potatoes on high for 8-10 minutes. They should be cooked through and easily pierced with a knife.
- Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the cooked potato leaving about 1/4″ thick layer inside the skins. (They will be hot – I hold them in an oven mitt while I do this.) Place the cooked potato into the large bowl. Place the shells on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- To the cooked potato add the half & half, butter and salt. Mash the potatoes with a masher thoroughly, then stir the mixture until it is smooth.
- Place the sausages on a cutting board and slice them into coins. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Spoon the potato mixture into the potato shells, dividing it evenly among all the shells. Stick several sausage slices into each potato so that they are partially sticking up out of the potato.
- Bake the potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and switch the oven to the Broil setting.
- Sprinkle the shredded Cheddar cheese over each potato.
- Place the potatoes under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove the potatoes from the oven and serve while still hot.
Serves 4-5 people